Education in the USA
Education in the USA




Studying in America is not only a diploma that opens up tempting career prospects for you, it is also an invaluable life experience, as well as acquaintance with the extraordinary culture of this amazing country. Education in the USA will give you a unique opportunity to gain excellent knowledge and, possibly, find a job in the country after graduation.

Universities in the USA are famous for their educational facilities. All educational institutions in America have the latest technical support and a broad research base, surpassing even some research institutes, which is one of the main advantages of American universities over universities in other countries. This approach creates all conditions for productive training of young researchers and for innovative developments.

The cost of education

Secondary education

The cost of secondary education is approximately from 35 to 000 USD for 65 year of study and largely depends on the chosen educational institution. Accommodation and meals may be included in the price.

Higher education 

The cost of higher education ranges from 20 to 000 USD for 70 year of study and depends on the chosen university, as well as the specialty. Accommodation may be included.


Secondary education is based on programs aimed at developing the individuality and independence of the child. The basis of education in US schools is the development of the student's cognitive activity. The school serves as a base for obtaining the knowledge and skills necessary in everyday life and in the future profession.

Primary Education - grades 1-5, ages 6 to 10/11

Secondary education - grades 6-12, from 11/12 to 18 years old
middle grades 6-8 (Middle School) and grades 7-9 (Junior High School)
senior classes 9-12 and 11-12 (High School, Senior High School)

In the middle classes (Middle School, Junior High School), students have the opportunity, in addition to compulsory subjects (mathematics, English, subjects of the scientific and natural cycle, social studies and arts), to also study subjects to choose from, such as journalism, rhetoric, theater arts, etc. .

Russian citizens, as a rule, can enter US schools from the 6th - 7th grade. In order to apply, in most cases you will need to show an academic certificate, confirm knowledge of English, pass a Skype interview and write an essay.

Community colleges

High school graduates who wish to study in the United States can enroll in an undergraduate program, or complete a two-year Associate Degree program at Community College (Community College). The beauty of studying at a community college is that upon graduation you are awarded the first degree in the US education system - Associate Degree, an associate's degree in one of the many educational specialties. After completing the program, the student has the right to enroll immediately in the third year of the bachelor's program of the US university, and some lectures attended at the community college can be automatically credited to the bachelor's program. After completing two years of study at an American university, the student receives a higher professional education, confirmed by a diploma.

To enter Community College, you need to have a high school diploma or be a graduate of the school, confirm your knowledge of English with an IELTS or TOEFL certificate, pass a Skype interview and write a motivational essay.

Bachelor's program

Bachelor's programs are the basis of primary higher education "undergraduate". A bachelor's degree is popular with students and is required to continue with a master's degree.

There are several general undergraduate degrees combining different specializations: Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), Bachelor of Arts (BFA), Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng.), Bachelor of Science and Public Relations (BSPA), Bachelor of Science and Nursing (BSN) and Bachelor of Philosophy (B.Phil.). BA and BS degrees are the most popular among foreign students

The traditional package of documents for admission to undergraduate studies in the USA:

  • high school diploma and school transcript
  • IELTS or TOEFL certificate
  • motivational essay from 1-6
  • ACT or SAT scores
  • letters of recommendation
  • resume indicating extracurricular achievements
  • application form.

Free undergraduate education in the USA

Some US universities have more opportunities for free education for international students than others. There are universities that provide scholarships and grants, as well as other types of financial assistance (loans, work opportunities on campus, material assistance (need-based awards) for international students.

If a student has excellent grades, a number of extracurricular hobbies and achievements, high scores in international exams, then by filling out a number of additional questionnaires and providing a separate package of documents, he can apply for partial or full coverage of the cost of education and living.


Students who receive a bachelor's degree can move on to the next level in the American higher education system - a master's degree. For admission to the US master's program, you must show a high level of English proficiency, which is confirmed by a certificate of passing the TOEFL / IELTS test and provide the results of the GRE or GMAT exam (for certain specialties), and for the MBA program, as a rule, show GMAT results. 

The duration of study in master's programs in America is one to two years and, unlike the bachelor's degree, has a narrow focus on a particular discipline or profession.

After completing the undergraduate program, you can also study in the US in the field of business. To do this, you need to choose an MBA master's program that trains specialists in the field of business management. The term of study in the MBA program is one and a half to two years.

Enrolling in the Master's program, you can apply for a scholarship or grant from the university itself or apply for the Fulbright educational grants program.

Graduate School

In higher education in America, a PhD is the highest academic degree. The PhD degree is considered necessary for those who want to do science.

They enter graduate school, as a rule, after graduating from the magistracy, but as an exception, some universities allow enrolling after the first higher education.

For admission to US graduate school, you must show a high level of English proficiency, which is confirmed by a certificate of passing the TOEFL / IELTS test and provide the results of the GRE or GMAT exam (for certain specialties), show professional experience and experience in scientific research. Specific entry requirements will depend on the university itself and the direction.

Graduate studies can be studied both for a fee and for free. Everything will depend on the chosen specialty, academic, scientific and professional data of the student.

In graduate school, students are mainly sponsored by three methods:

Fellowship - Scholarship, which is paid to especially gifted students. The responsibility for such a scholarship is purely academic, i.e. you need to get high grades for education.

Teaching Assistantship (TA) - a scholarship that is paid to a graduate student for performing certain "low-skilled" teaching work at the faculty. Examples of such work include conducting labs or seminars for students, or helping a professor teach a course, which includes checking tests and homework. Responsibility: Satisfactory performance of their work and academic performance.

Research Assistantship (RA) - a scholarship that a professor pays to his graduate student from his grant. Responsibility: the professor must be satisfied with your progress in scientific work, and you must show academic progress.

How can help Global Ambassador?

Contact the Global Ambassador for a free individual consultation to assess your chances of entering US universities!

At the consultation, a Global Ambassador specialist will provide you with:

  • information about the education system in the USA
  • types of suitable educational institutions for you
  • information about admission requirements in educational institutions
  • calculation of the cost of education and living
  • assessment of the chances of admission
  • assessment of the chances of obtaining a scholarship/grant
  • recommendations on the necessary language training and passing standardized tests
  • information on visa requirements and the likelihood of obtaining a visa
  • information about the opportunity to work while studying
  • admission plan and schedule
  • information about the pros and cons of education in the US and other countries.

Do you want to study in the USA? Sign up for a free consultation with a specialist


Share with a friend

Since 2009 we have been helping students in Russia, the CIS and around the world


Global Ambassador® registered service mark of Global Ambassador LLC

Services are provided by Global Ambassador LLC and IP Zaikov Maxim Sergeevich (License for educational activities of the Ministry of General and Vocational Education SO No. 19343 dated 27.03.2017/XNUMX/XNUMX)

The website is for informational purposes only and is not a public offer.

0+ No age limit

Company rank 4.97 / 5
ru Русский en English
👉 Sign up for an introductory lesson or consultation on education abroad